Home Paper art Tinged Blue {Floss Nicholls} with Squiggly Ink stamps (tones)

Tinged Blue {Floss Nicholls} with Squiggly Ink stamps (tones)


Hello everybody, It is Floss with you once more immediately and I am right here to share an thrilling undertaking I’ve simply designed utilizing the star of the present subject; Surfs Up, so as to add the color. The problem set for me this time by PaperArtsy was to make use of Surfs Up with a gray in order that I might clarify and display using tones with you. Mixing Surfs Up with Slate gave me some great tones to play with on my gel plate to create grasp boards prepared for making pages for my ‘Any Yr Calendar’.  

It seems I learnt a number of issues alongside the way in which and I hope that you simply get pleasure from this undertaking as a lot as I did creating it.

There have been a number of issues that I wanted to do earlier than I began sharing my ‘any yr calendar’ with you because it was nonetheless on the concept stage and so it wanted prototyping.  However first issues first, I wanted to do some color mixing/testing to elucidate the ‘tone’ terminology.

I snaked my approach throughout the web page and again…it in all probability would have been extra useful if I would have used an extended piece of card and did my color mixing in a straight line to indicate the tonal increments to your reference, and so apologies for that.  I believe I additionally might have added the slate gray in smaller quantities to provide me extra lighter or nearer variations throughout the Surfs Up finish on the web page. What was attention-grabbing although, was that I did discover that the darkest tone wouldn’t exceed that of the slate acrylic paint.  I discovered this was the identical after I trialled elephant too.

So to make clear the use/definition of the phrase TONE; Tone is a color created by including gray to the
beginning color. Tonal colors are sometimes thought of extra pleasing to the attention as they’re extra delicate. Usually talking nearly each color we see day-to-day has been toned to a point. 
As you may see on the instance I discovered beneath, the toned colors are barely softer on the attention because the gray takes away the brilliance of the unique color.

I selected to make use of PaperArtsy fresco end acrylic paints Tinned Peas (FF55) as I preferred the similarity of its color energy, Classic Lace (FF18) for its distinction and Slate (FF84) to combine with Surfs Up (FF146).  I added these to my color swatches and combined just a little of all of the paints collectively which made an attention-grabbing putty gray color which I cherished. I typically combine just a little of all the colors I take advantage of collectively as I believe it helps make all the colors work collectively properly.

Earlier than I began prototyping the calendar stand, I wanted to work out the dimensions that the date and month pages would must be so I printed a number of completely different layouts utilizing the Squiggly Ink stamp Love and Kisses Plate 4 (SILK4EZ) for the letters and Ding Dong Plate 9 (SIDD9EZ) for the numbers. I began taking a look at colors and the way I would fill every field and letter, whether or not to be neat and keep contained in the field traces, or whether or not to overflow the sides.

Utilizing these stamps gave me the scale 120mm x 45mm for the month pages and 70mm x 60mm for the date pages. I checked out two calendar stand prospects after doing a number of sketches on my ‘below paper’. I all the time have paper not a mat or glass below no matter I’m engaged on because it permits me to jot notes or doodle concepts onto it while working away on different issues. It additionally has an exquisite approach of constructing layers with out attempting and infrequently finally ends up as an exquisite collage piece used elsewhere…sufficient of that; sorry I digress…The primary calendar concept allowed me to probably have three pages to show nevertheless it meant that I’d’ve needed to have had a slot for one set of the pages which might must be slotted by the face each time I made a date change which was fiddly, so I dominated that one out!

My second concept was to make the stand rectangular and have solely the month and the date pages. I discovered that by making the month slots deeper, they might grasp decrease to make it extra visually interesting.  This gave me a calendar floor of 240mm x 90mm.


I marked the bottom out onto 30gsm card; it measured 315mm x 240mm general. The image beneath reveals sections left to proper as 75mm x 240mm, 90mm x 240mm, 90mm x 240mm, 40mm x 240mm and the 2 half circles have been made within the remaining 20mm x 240mm being 40mm in from the sides with a diameter additionally of 40mm. Rating the three fold traces. The slits have been made by folding it right into a triangle and marking the place the semi circles wanted to go to carry the bottom collectively. Lower these with a knife. The slots shall be defined later. I gave the floor a base coat of acrylic.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here