Oooh in the present day we mix two fabulous themes – STEAM Valentine’s Actions and enjoyable Children’ Valentine”s Day Crafts!
Welcoming Danya from Go Science Children for the 31 Days of Love sequence!
Hello, I’m Danya, the geeky (& artful) mum behind Go Science Children. I’m so thrilled to be becoming a member of the Purple Ted Artwork crew for this 12 months’s 31 Days of Love!
At the moment I’m going to share with you the right way to make these Salt Crystal Hearts – they’re an effective way to mix a cute Valentine’s Day craft with hands-on science: a “science craft” as I prefer to name it!
Right here’s how we made them.
Salt Crystal Hearts: Supplies
- crimson paper
- common cooking or desk salt
- sizzling water, glass & spoon
- shallow plates
- ribbon or nylon thread
- sticky tape
Salt Crystal Hearts: STEAM for teenagers directions
1. Begin by chopping out paper hearts. I discover it best to fold the paper first, and reduce half a coronary heart form from the fold, in order that when it opens up it varieties a symmetrical full coronary heart form.
2. Pour sizzling water right into a glass – it doesn’t should be boiling, particularly in case you are doing this with younger children. Stir in as a lot salt as will dissolve.
3. Utilizing shallow plates, pour the salt water resolution over the paper hearts. Allow them to sit someplace undisturbed for a number of days, or till the water has dissolved. Salt crystals ought to have now fashioned throughout your paper hearts (and plates).
4. Fastidiously take away your hearts from the plates, and flip over to tape a loop of ribbon or nylon thread on the opposite facet.
Salt Crystal Hearts: The Science Defined
That is a type of science craft actions the place you may delve into the science features as a lot or as little as you want!
If you’re doing this craft with preschoolers, you would possibly prefer to style (a small quantity) of the salt and the water, and predict what the salt water resolution will style like. Making salt water is an efficient technique to introduce the idea that some issues dissolve and others don’t. When the water evaporates and the salt ‘reappears’ once more, you may reveal that, although you couldn’t see it, it was there all alongside.
For early main faculty children, you would possibly have the ability to discuss how salt is a stable, however while you combine it with water, it turns into a salt water resolution. The salt crystals break aside and dissolve. As soon as we evaporate off the water, the salt reforms as salt crystals once more. You may additionally discuss how our meals salt comes from both evaporating seawater, or mined from previous deposits. And that desk salt and cooking salt is basically the identical factor, simply maybe with totally different ranges of purity, and floor finer.
You may study the newly fashioned salt crystals and spot that they’re all dice formed (which is among the cool issues about crystals; several types of crystals kind in numerous shapes!)
Or for older main faculty aged children, you might flip this into a real experiment, by altering one of many variables and seeing how this results the outcomes. You may change the focus of salt within the saltwater, maybe?
I really like how so many science conversations can stem from one easy science craft exercise!
If you happen to loved this concept, chances are you’ll wish to take a look at a few of our different actions on Go Science Children. Now we have a number of cute “science craft” concepts, in addition to a bunch of enjoyable science experiments you are able to do in 10 minutes or much less. You’ll be able to signal as much as our e-newsletter, and comply with us over on Fb too.
And will I say a giant thanks to Maggy and Purple Ted Artwork for internet hosting the 31 Days of Love sequence once more this 12 months! We *love* it!
Thanks Danya for becoming a member of us!!!
Extra nice STEAM Initiatives for Valentine’s Day right here:
Or how about our Hearts 101 assortment?