What kind of material must you use to stitch menswear? What class of designs must you be in search of? What males’s or unisex types are you able to even DIY? Get the solutions to those questions and extra with Spoonflower Ambassador Meg Fleshman as she guides you thru the most effective materials and design decisions for menswear akin to unfastened becoming shorts, easy T-shirts and outerwear.
Meg: Do you suppose Spoonflower’s enjoyable designs are just for ladies and kids? Suppose once more! Whereas we regularly see Market designs used for attire, child leggings and the like, such prints are additionally an amazing match for people preferring clothes types usually categorized as menswear.
Right now I’m sharing a pair of shorts I made for my companion, plus some ideas and sample recommendations to get you began by yourself menswear, too!
The Excellent Pair of Printed Shorts
With regards to his private model, my husband, Joey, is unquestionably a solids and neutrals sort of man. Nonetheless, because the climate has warmed he’s been inquisitive about incorporating extra prints into his closet. We determined to attempt a easy floral paired with an elastic waist brief—good for heat, sunny days right here within the US.
Talking of heat climate, summer season is definitely a good time to dive into patterned clothes! Seashore/resort clothes that includes in style motifs like palms, birds and sailboats are already fashionable in menswear this time of 12 months, making it a better leap to prints in your personal handmade wardrobe.
These shorts turned out to be an amazing match for Joey and his model preferences. The Males’s Summer season Pants sample from Wardrobe by Me options slant pockets, a number of again pocket choices, a pretend fly and elastic waistband—all superior options for a cushty pair of heat climate shorts. The elastic waistband means simpler stitching and becoming for newbie sewists too.
One other plus for rookies? Stitching these up in Light-weight Cotton Twill. This cotton twill is simple to work with and an ideal weight for summer season shorts and pants. We additionally each love the floral print he selected for his shorts. Tiny Impartial Flowers designed by michelle_parascandolo is a straightforward ditsy-style print with simply the correct quantity of colour for somebody like Joey who tendencies towards neutrals and solids. This design seems so good as shorts, I’m severely contemplating making my very own pair as effectively!
Selecting Menswear Cloth Designs
Need to incorporate extra Spoonflower designs into your menswear model however unsure how you can begin? Listed below are a pair tricks to get you going:
- Choose designs from the Spoonflower Market that characteristic a smaller scale. Bigger designs typically appear “loud” or “daring,” so if that’s not your factor otherwise you’re new to carrying prints, go for designs famous as “small” or “micro.” These designs will seem extra delicate or resemble extra conventional patterns like polka dots or checks from a distance.
- Select a design with a subdued or impartial colour palette. Even the funkiest print may be tamed with impartial colours. Used to carrying denim bottoms? Strive a design in muted blues or greys. A fan of easy striped tees? Search for designs with a black and white palette or one other monochrome colour scheme.
- Pair a patterned merchandise with a strong merchandise. Select a favourite strong tee to go together with patterned shorts, or vice versa. Carrying a new printed merchandise with a go-to strong staple will enable you to check out a mode that’s each adventurous and acquainted.
Meg’s High Sample Picks for Menswear
Along with my fave Light-weight Cotton Twill material, I’ve picked out a couple of different material varieties and matched them with some menswear or unisex patterns so you possibly can outfit your closet in your whole favourite Spoonflower designs! This listing flows from simpler to extra complicated patterns, so in case you’re a newbie I like to recommend beginning out with a pair of cotton twill bottoms or a T-shirt, whereas extra skilled sewists would possibly wish to check out a neat chore jacket in Dogwood Denim.
- Fremantle Pants, Elbe Textiles
- Huy Pants, Melilot Patterns
- Mens Summer season Pants, Wardrobe by Me (featured on this put up)
- Ilford Jacket, Friday Sample Co
- Foreman Jacket, Service provider and Mills
- Jacques Jacket, I AM patterns
Thanks for trying out this put up! I hope it has impressed you to include extra Spoonflower materials into your handmade menswear. And as all the time, I’d like to see what you create! Be happy to share your Spoonflower menswear tasks on Instagram by tagging us with #spoonflower and #megmadesewing.
Extra Handmade Attire
The put up Methods to Select the Greatest Cloth for Menswear appeared first on Spoonflower Weblog.