What do that article, a birthday current, and a Christmas reward all have in widespread? They’re all wrapped up with a bow! Embroidering on ribbon is commonly neglected, however it’s enjoyable and can be utilized for extra than simply reward wrapping!
Many embroiderers, new and skilled, shrink back from utilizing ribbon. It produces a terrific end result, however how do you do it? With care, you’ll be able to create stunning and inventive items!
Let’s additional focus on embroidering on ribbon. All through this text, we’ll focus on the 2 hottest varieties of ribbon and their execs and cons with embroidery. We’ll focus on some ideas and tips on tips on how to embroider on ribbon, issues that may happen and tips on how to keep away from them, and we’ll additionally offer you some cute embroidery concepts you need to strive!
Machine Embroidery On Ribbon
Machine embroidery on ribbon has been round within the business trade for a very long time however is now changing into fairly widespread with crafters, designers, and embroiderers.
Ideally, it might be greatest should you used the highest quality ribbon you will discover, however till you turn into extra expert at working with ribbons, inexpensive craft retailer ribbons will work and be nice observe.
- The Grosgrain ribbon is sturdy and doesn’t present as many marks. It’s a excellent place to begin. It’s been round for the reason that 1500s, it has been a woven ribbon with warp and weft threads of various sizes, producing the “traces” throughout the ribbon.
- Satin Ribbon is tender and slippery. It’s tougher to embroider and requires extra cautious preparation. It could possibly present marks from hooping or (should you like to make use of it) tack down stitches. (On this weblog, we’re simply speaking about floating with adhesive, however you might select to tack down your ribbon.)
- Acetate ribbon is a particularly low-cost crunchy model of satin ribbon. It’s fairly stiff and can be utilized for crafts or reward baskets, however it isn’t tender to put on.
Is it potential to machine embroider on ribbon? Completely! Nonetheless, it does require extra preparation and cautious measuring. However when you observe and discover a technique that works, you’ll be up and stitching shortly. The 2 important concerns in ribbon embroidery are:
- Slippery, slithery cloth. Satin ribbon is gorgeous however slick and can transfer round as it’s being embroidered. You will want to give attention to tips on how to maintain down the ribbon whereas stitching out.
- Stitching straight traces. This could be the toughest a part of your stitching course of, however now we have some concepts for you! You should line up your ribbon so your identify or design stitches out appropriately.
How Do I Machine Embroider On Ribbon?
As a result of the ribbon motion is so difficult, we’ll begin there. You may float or hoop ribbon, and there are benefits to each.
When working with ribbon, keep in mind the 2 golden guidelines: it can enable you to make higher decisions. Safe your ribbon and MEASURE rigorously!
Hooping Ribbon For Machine Embroidery
Many individuals decide to hoop their challenge for longer stretches of embroidery, so it’s anchored down. When hooping, you might want to safe the ribbon to the stabilizer first after which hoop the stabilizer/ribbon within the hoop, measuring the space from the perimeters in order that it’s utterly straight within the hoop. Something much less will create crooked traces.
Hooping this manner is simple; you stick your ribbon down by flippantly spraying the stabilizer with short-term adhesive spray and putting the ribbon down on that stabilizer.
Need to be taught extra about tips on how to grasp utilizing adhesives in your embroidery? Click on right here to learn extra.
The entire thing is then hooped utilizing the sting of the ring as a suggestion. You may draw a straight guideline or use a straight edge to make sure it isn’t wavy.
This technique is greatest finished in a sq. or rectangular hoop as you want the sting of the ring as a suggestion.
How To Hoop Ribbon For Machine Embroidery
This technique is appropriate for longer, wider strips of ribbon. Listed below are the supplies you will have:
- Sq. or rectangular embroidery hoop
- Tear Away stabilizer (medium weight)
- Marking pencil
- Momentary adhesive spray
To embroider your ribbon, you will have to middle the ribbon in your hoop.
Comply with these steps:
- Lay your stabilizer in your workspace and draw a single line utilizing the ruler from proper to left.
- Measure your ribbon (for this instance, we’ll use a 1.5-inch ribbon).
- Divide the measure of the width of your ribbon in half (it must be ¾ inch on all sides of your middle line.
- Utilizing the ruler, mark a suggestion for all sides of your ribbon.
- To create the road for the sting of the ring, use your centerline, mark 2 factors which are ½ the peak of the ring, and draw a line to make use of for aligning the ring.
- Frivolously spray your stabilizer down the middle line.
- Rigorously lay down your ribbon between the 2 pointers you drew.
- Rigorously hoop your ribbon/stabilizer within the hoop utilizing your pointers. Your ribbon ought to run down the middle of your hoop.
You can too use your embroidery software program to create these traces by hooping a chunk of stabilizer and stitching the guidelines- un-hoop, tack down your ribbon, and re-hoop utilizing the highest guideline to make sure the ring is aligned appropriately. At all times be certain to middle the needle in your ribbon for greatest outcomes.
Floating Ribbon For Machine Embroidery
Many individuals discover floating simpler, and just a little preparation will produce a terrific end result! It could be greatest should you used a tear-away stabilizer (sticky backed or common), some short-term adhesive spray, and both a ruler or digitize a suggestion in your embroidery software program.
How To Float Ribbon For Machine Embroidery
Floating ribbon is mostly a better technique of embroidering for most individuals. It’s not as safe as hooping, so you’ll not need to strive lengthy traces of lettering, however it may be finished. This technique additionally requires measurement and preparation, and, just like the hooping technique above, the extra care you’re taking, the higher the end result.
Comply with these steps to embroider on ribbon:
- Hoop a chunk of medium tear-away stabilizer in a hoop.
- Sew pointers.
- Take away the ring from the machine and flippantly spray between pointers stitched onto the stabilizer.
- Lay the ribbon between your pointers and return the ring to the machine.
- Sew your ribbon!
Some folks like to make use of sticky-backed stabilizers, however there are execs and cons. To make use of a sticky again, hoop the stabilizer, after which use a pin or needle to attain the paper inside the world you need to expose and peel again the paper. You may then stick down your ribbon within the uncovered space and sew. A sticky again can have some residue remaining.
If you’re working with a ribbon that won’t be on clothes or as a hair accent, you’ll be able to iron on a stabilizer and embroider. There are numerous, many alternative choices for strengthening the ribbon.
Above is a hoop with stitched pointers utilizing Hatch Software program (click on right here for a free 30-day Hatch trial).
After stitching our ribbon pointers, we all know the place to position our ribbon throughout the hoop.
Issues You Can Encounter When Embroidering Ribbon
Sadly, life isn’t all the time good, and you might encounter issues with ribbon embroidery till you be taught what works greatest for you and your supplies. Listed below are some examples of belongings you would possibly see:
- Wavy Edges are brought on by the needle catching the weft threads (horizontal). Keep away from wavy edges by utilizing a brand new needle and never stitching too quick. The better the stress, the better the pull. A lot of this may be eliminated by an excellent steam iron (from the again), pulling it firmly whereas ironing.
- Pulled Stitches may also be brought on by a uninteresting needle and an excessive amount of pace. Additionally, you will need to just be sure you aren’t attempting to embroider too giant a letter or object; in any other case, you will have an extra stabilizer. Sadly, with satin ribbon, this may happen- good ironing with steam from the again may also assist to minimize the look.
- Curling ribbon usually happens with satin ribbon and is most frequently brought on by inadequate adhesive. With out an enough stabilizer and never being safe, the ribbon contracts the place the stitching is and leaves a curly edge. When you have an extended line of sewing, swap to hooping.
Machine Embroidered Ribbon Tasks
When ribbon involves thoughts, you might simply consider wrapping up a present, however so many potentialities come to thoughts for us!
Let’s discover some inventive choices:
- Bows and Hair bows: embroider the ends of Grosgrain or satin ribbon to make a cute hair bow; good for pep squads, youngsters, pups, and extra! Embroider the ends of the ribbon and tie it over a ponytail or create a looped wired ribbon with inventive ends.
- Bag handles: embroidering a Grosgrain ribbon with a reputation or object is a straightforward method to personalize a tote bag!
- Create your personal ribbon: do you know you’ll be able to create your OWN ribbon? Decide a cloth you want, embroider satin or motif edge in straight traces after which embroider on a reputation or picture. Ensure to make use of sturdy WOVEN cloth as knits will transfer an excessive amount of.
Want extra embroidery design choices? Try our nearly 30,000 high-quality embroidery designs by clicking right here.
- “Winner ribbons”: everybody likes to get a winner ribbon! Whether or not it’s the dishes, chores, being the most effective child/dad/mother/buddy/nurse and so on. Create a straightforward winner ribbon and make their day! Use a pin to show on clothes or bag.
- Baggage Tags: this could possibly be a protracted ribbon with an image or emblem (keep in mind, don’t put private data on baggage tags- put that inside). That is so that you can know your bag whereas in a pile of others.
- Personalised Ribbon Tag: these are nice on backpacks, lunch baggage, or pc baggage to incorporate your initials to simply enable you to acknowledge (or cutely adorn) your bag.
Machine embroidery fonts could make or break any challenge. Do you know we provide over 1,000 completely different embroidery fonts in BX fonts, ESA fonts, and Sew File fonts. Click on right here to test them out.
- Embroidered beaded edge: you’ll be able to create a beautiful impact by embroidering an edge the place the ribbon can be reduce after which rigorously chopping near the stitching. Should you really feel courageous, use a lighter or stencil chopping iron to sear the additional cloth protruding
- Ribbon deal with bag: these make nice goodie baggage you could adorn seasonally to fill together with your favourite snacks or to maintain your change in. Need to learn to make your personal customized ribbon deal with bag? Click on right here for a free tutorial utilizing Hatch software program.
Are you curious about studying tips on how to create your personal customized embroidered ribbons? Click on right here for a free 30-day trial of Hatch embroidery software program the place you utilize it such as you personal it.
Conclusion: Embroidering Ribbon Doesn’t Have To Be Onerous
A lot data! We all know you will take this and run with it! Embroidering on ribbon is a talent, and you will have to begin small on cheap supplies first after which strive your hand at one of many tasks above!
This could get you going for now, however let’s overview some key factors so that you can keep in mind:
- Measure rigorously!
- Adhere effectively
- Take your time
These fundamental pointers will assist you’ve straight embroidered names and tender, supple sew outs. Chances are you’ll be pissed off while you start to do ribbon embroidery, however time and observe will get you the place you might want to be.
Till subsequent time, completely satisfied stitching!
P.S. Don’t neglect to take a look at our 1,000+ embroidery fonts to personalize your subsequent embroidery challenge!